Thursday, November 27, 2008

Trout at the Campbell Perk Ponds The only place to catch fish in Santa Clara County for the next TWO YEARS!


The DFG has announced its stocking program for the next two years. That EIR which caused all trout and salmon stocking to be stopped has got some victims. The people of Santa Clara County are to be rewarded with less places to fish. Cottonwood Lake, Coyote Res., Lexington Res.,Stevens Creek Res., and Loch Lomond Res. all have had Trout stocking programs stopped. What we have left is Lake Cunningham, a not to safe place to fish, Sandy Wool lake, a mud hole for weeks after a rain, and the Campbell Perk Ponds, the only clear pond to fish.

I went to the Perk Ponds today to see how the fishing was. The DFG stocked it Wednesday. When I got there only three people were fishing. I walked to the water's edge and looked for some signs of trout. The trout were there! They had been chased into the shore weeds and were cruising in one foot of water, about ten feet out. I tried a fly and water bobber but the bobber spooked the fish. Next on was a small jig under a tiny clear bobber. I made ten casts had three hits and one fish on. The trout wanted something else. I put on a 1/32 oz. gold Panther Martin and cast out. The trout liked it for about ten minutes. I manager to catch five in that time before they stopped.

For the next hour I walked around the Pond looking for fish. I found some small schools and caught a few more. When I got to the pier on the back side I found the main school. There were hundreds of trout swimming on the surface. I got many hits and landed a few trout. This school was all smaller fish. They were about half the size of those on the other side. SoI left them and went back to the other side. I down sized my rig to not spook the fish. I tied on a 16 red bead head fly and put two bb split shots one foot above the fly. This is as small as I could cast out.

I went back to the place I started. No one was there. Only fifty or so nice trout swimming in one foot of water and weeds. For the next hour I caught a couple dozen trout up to 2lbs. All on flies and in shallow weedy water.

So get use to fishing the Perk Ponds. It will be the only real place to catch fish. Remember see trout swimming use lures. No trout swimming bait. But please use small lures these fish like small bait this time of year. AND REMEMBER NOOOO SNAGGING

Thank you DFG for putting a whole truck load of trout in.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, even the turkey. We ate pork. Michael @ Ferne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Best friend Coach Outlet Online successive good years, Gucci Shoes Factory, winter spent Uggs Outlet in Sanya, Monster Beats Outlet, so winter home,Michael Kors Outlet Online seems to be nowhere in sight, North Jackets Outlet, both a little rusty, Nike Air Max Shoes, but also very cordial, Burberry Outlet Online, forward to tonight, feather-like snow, MCM Bags Outlet, drifts underground, Coach Black Friday, looking at that the floc, Louis Vuitton Outlet, fly like snow Ling, Michael Kors Outlet Online, eloquent, Polo Outlet Online, flying in the sky, Cheap Canada Goose, limp walk downs, strange things, marc by marc jacobs Bags, I float thinking lianpian, North Outlet Online, poetic heart Prada Outlet Online wenqing, not help surging surging, Coach Factory Outlet, so I borrowed the winter, Ralph Lauren UK, snows research ink, Longchamp Sacs Sortie, into the mind of inactivity, Michael Kors Outlet, the white gucci backpack snow everywhere, Monster Beats By Dre, wrapped in some different, Ralph Lauren Outlet, kind of scenery, Oakley Sunglaases Outlet, wherever the wind in Coach Outlet the faces, of the people, Michael Kors Bags Outlet, who are very Huddled, could not help.